In the world of online marketing, there are several terms and acronyms that are thrown around that you need to know. These terms help describe everything from advertising costs to search engine results. If you wish to be successful in online marketing, you need to understand these terms and be able to understand exactly what they describe. Once you learn these terms, they will become second nature when you are referring to things in the online world.
Advertising Online Marketing Acronyms
The first set terms that I will describe are used to describe the different types of advertising that occur on the internet.
- The first term is Cost Per Action or simply CPA. You literally see CPA ads everywhere on the internet. A CPA ad will ask the user to input data such as a zip code or email address. Once the user completes this step, the advertiser will pay a set amount of money for that data.
- Another similar term is Cost Per Click or CPC. This is the type of ad that is used by Google AdSense and similar services. The advertiser will pay the affiliate each time someone clicks on the ad.
- Another term to know is CPM. It stands for Cost Per Thousand Impressions. They are usually paid a set amount of money per thousand impressions on an ad. Usually when paying for online advertising you are paying by CPM or CPC
- These types of ads also use another stat called CTR. CTR represents: Click Through Rate, and it’s one of the easiest terms to understand. It’s the rate of how many people click your ad or link and then visits the page that the ad is linked to.
Search Engine Online Marketing Acronyms
Another important aspect of online marketing is how well you do on the search engine results.
- In order to do well on search engines, you need to make a website that is SEO friendly. SEO simply stands for Search Engine Optimization. This means that your website is optimized or configured for a certain niche of keywords on the search engine results.
- When you are focusing on SEO, you need to also pay attention your SERP rating. SERP stands for Search Engine Results Page, and the goal of SERP marketing is simple. You need to be on the first couple of pages of the results page of your certain keyword that you are optimized for. If your SERP rating is good, you anticipate an increase of traffic from search engines.
- SEO and SERP usually come together under one term referred to as SEM. This term simply means Search Engine Marketing.
The final term we will look at is the Keyword Effectiveness Index or KEI for short. When you setup a website, you try to aim for a certain keyword. This keyword usually represents a niche or target market that you are aiming for. A KEI rating will look at how many people search for that term when using a search engine. It will also take into account how competitive that keyword is based on the number of websites that are competing for that keyword. The final rating may reveal some great keywords to target for a market that is low in competitiveness and high in returning search results.
These terms or online marketing acronyms are just the basic terms that you need to know to start understanding the world of online marketing. You will have to be able to master all of these terms in order to build a successful website that will generate revenue. These acronyms get thrown around like common knowledge and you can easily get confused.You need a strong foundation and just knowing these terms help you complete that foundation.